January 3, 2022 | Nostra Vita
- 1 3/4 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Mise En Place:
- Measure out all ingredients before cooking process begins
- Whip 1 cup of the heavy cream to soft peaks in a medium bowl (see Cook's Note). Set aside.
- Add the egg, egg yolks, sugar, espresso powder, vanilla extract, salt and 1 tbs water to a medium heatproof bowl and whisk to combine. Set the bowl over a medium saucepan of gently simmering water (do not allow the bowl to touch the water). Whisk constantly until the mixture is pale, hot to the touch and has almost doubled in volume, about 4 to 6 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally with a rubber spatula. Remove from the heat and continue whisking until cooled, approximately 2 minutes.
- Put the chopped chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl and set over the saucepan of gently simmering water (do not allow the bowl to touch the water). Stir occasionally with a rubber spatula until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and gently stir for about 3 minutes to cool slightly.
Whisk the egg mixture into the melted chocolate in 3 additions until combined. (The mixture may get very thick.) Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture in 3 additions until it is fully incorporated. It is important that the chocolate mixture is not warm to ensure that it combines smoothly with the whipped cream without seizing up.
Divide the chocolate mousse among four 4-ounce ramekins and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
Whip the remaining 3/4 cup cold heavy cream to stiff peaks. Top each chocolate mousse with whipped cream and serve. (For a softer texture, allow the ramekins to sit at room temperature while you whip the cream.)
Enjoy with Nostra Vita's Serendipity Demi-Sec.